Historic London Town and Gardens is looking for a Horticulture assistant/Gardener who is passionate about horticulture and botanical gardens. The assistant horticulturist will work directly under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture. Tasks will include invasive removal, weeding, mulching, dead tree limbs/ small tree removal, installing plants, fall-leaf removal, watering and grooming plants in which attention to detail is important. Assist with the maintenance of the Greenhouse. Weekday and some weekend work might be required.
This is a seasonal position, 15-25 hrs/week (approx..) February 2018- December2018.
Days of the week:
Between Monday-Sunday: optional days to choose from, with some flexible work hours
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Daily care of the gardens including weeding, planting, pruning, watering, mulching, fall leaf removal-debris disposal, grounds clean up and horticulture workshop set-up.
• Work independently outdoors in the gardens on routine maintenance and specific projects.
• Assist Director of Horticulture and garden volunteers with large scale garden projects.
• General ground and turf care (mowing, string trimming, edging, fertilization, aerating, monitoring and treating for pest and disease)
• Will also include operating and maintaining, as assigned, landscaping equipment
• Ability to operate light-duty equipment including but not limited to small-scale power equipment such as roto-tillers, chain saws, tractors, lawn mowers, edger and pole saw
• Must be personable and flexible, and take pride in their work.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with staff, visitors, and other constituents.
• Must be willing to work under varying climatic conditions (heat, cold, etc.).
• Applicants must have the ability and willingness to work in an environment that utilizes pesticides as a plant management tool.
• May be required to report to work outside of the regularly scheduled shift to assist with departmental emergencies, or to deal with issues of public safety.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry items up to 50 pounds.
1. Associate's degree in horticulture/agriculture/forestry/related field OR
2. Pursuing an associate degree with 2 years of professional gardening/farm work experience with basic plant knowledge
3. Good written and verbal communication skills.
Applicants: Please send an email expressing your interest in this position and in Historic London Town and Gardens, along with a resume and CV to: Meenal Harankhedkar, Director of Horticulture; email@example.com
Wage: $12.00/hr; 15-25hrs/week; Feb.-Dec.